Monday, October 10, 2011

Why Do I Suck So Bad?

Like Weather 210, but without the Jetstreams
Ok. So I'm trying to be positive. I have to keep focusing on the purpose of this year-long experiment. I even stated it in my very first post: "I won't become exceptionally "good" at any of these skills. But I will give it my best shot." But, let's just be honest here. I've never really sucked big time at anything in my life...and when I did suck big time, I quit. Case in point: "Weather 210." I needed a 200 level University science course to complete my degree. I thought to myself, "Weather - how hard can it be? Like, hello, it's sunny. Hello, now it's cloudy. A+ right?" Wrong. It was frickin complicated. There's like jetstreams and isobars and...well, I can't even talk about it anymore. It hurts my head. I took the first exam, received a 63% and abruptly dropped the class. Done. Moving on (Oddly enough, I now have this strange fascination with the weather - someday, ask me about the Environment Canada Weatherman who is currently on my speed dial. True story). Well, it's day 10 and this flute is sucking the life out of me (or perhaps I'm sucking the life out of this flute?). I dunno. It's not good.
I would like to thank my family and friends for all the positive comments they've provided, which include:

"Is it supposed to sound like that?"

"Maybe it needs to be tuned?"

... and my favorite
"It looks like it hurts."
(That's courtesy of my BFF, Janna, who actually winced as I played)

Oh dear. How the h am I going to learn a Pearl Jam melody in 21 days? COACH??? (Heidi is presently eating turkey with her family in s'toon).

Just for fun, I've put together a clip of 3 little ditties. They are all played in the key of C. It's currently my most successful note. See you if you can guess the tune. Kudos to you if you can figure it out - I'm watching it back and don't remember what those songs are. I can't even find a place to insert "whilst" into this post.

3 comments:

  1. I think I've pinpointed the problem...you're not supposed to suck on the flute, you're supposed to blow on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ that's what she said. Also, Jingle Bells, Happy Birthday, and uh, Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow. Ok, here's another hint on song #3: anyone who's danced with me knows that I will pull this one out after a few - complete with the "running" action. ;)

    ReplyDelete