Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day: Special shout out to mothers' of goalies!

We took the big trip to Red Deer this weekend to visit Ev's parents and we're extremely busy eating all of the treats that Peg has prepared for us. Therefore, I will make this post short and sweet. I thought I would start by celebrating Mother's Day by sharing some pictures of Braden Holtby's mom. Braden is the netminder for the Washington Capitals and his mother is becoming something of a celebrity for the facial expressions she's been making during playoff games. I can totally relate to this poor woman. This experience looks unbelievably painful for her. I'm sure that each and every goal that sneaks past her son causes her to die, just a little, inside (this is how I always dramatically articulated my feelings about watching hockey). Happy Mother's Day, Mrs. Holtby. I'm sorry that your son is a goalie. That sucks. Braden, buy her something nice with that playoff bonus. (Mother's Day tip: steer your son away from goaltending and/or pitching positions).
(pics courtesy of Washington Post)

"I'm having so much fun watching my son play hockey!"

"Quick! pour me something stronger"

"We should have pushed him into figure skating."

"Get back in your net! Get back in your net!"


It does remind me of a little "mom" story. Peggy and I were watching Ev play against the Red Deer Rebels in Red Deer. We were always quite the pair when we watched the hockey together. Our overreactions and spastic body movements increased exponentially as a pair. Clinging desperately to each other we cheered, covered our eyes, and yelled obscenities at the ref, we were 2 of only a few Prince Albert Raiders fans at that game. We were appalled as the the Red Deer crowd began heckling Evan after a soft goal (although I'm sure he was screened... or the defenseman tipped it in because there's just NO way it could have been his fault).

Two sauced Rebels fans seated 2 rows ahead of us began chanting, "Lindsay....Lindsay." When Ev failed to acknowledge their blubbering heckles, the one red-nosed man yelled, "Lindsay, your mom takes it up the ....." (You know how that ends, right. I don't really want to type that. It just feels wrong).
Evan's mom turned towards me slowly and repeated, "Ev's mom takes it up the .....?"
Oh dear.
"Excuse me! I hollered at the men sitting ahead of us, "This is Evan Lindsay's mom."
Eyes bulging out of their heads, face turning a bright shade of crimson, the man replied, "Oh. Sorry about that. Your son is very talented."
Enough said. We didn't speak about it again.

Have a great weekend! Thank your moms for all the anguish you caused them over the years.





1 comment:

  1. This morning I told my kids that they could not complain about what I wanted to do for Mother's Day (clean the house) because they would never be able to pay me back for carrying them around in my body like giant water balloons for 9 months and then pushing them out of my vagina in great pain. Yes, I used the "v" word. They won't soon forget that whining is not permissible on Mother's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete