Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

Another year in the books. I learned a lot about myself in 2011. Who knew that you could still discover things about yourself well into adulthood? Most of all, as you've heard me utter repeatedly, I have learned (as cliche as it sounds), that each and every day is a gift. Prior to this year, I have said it, thought it, etc, but honestly, I didn't LIVE it. Ryan's death has taught me that I need to LIVE it. There's still so much in life to discover - even at age 32. That's what I'm trying to do, and what I will continue to strive for in 2012. So far, it's been such a rewarding experience. I have learned how to longboard, play the flute (terribly), correspond en espanol, and crochet! I have had the opportunity to meet new people (how cool is Randy??), learn from my fabulous friends and coworkers, and spend some A+ time with my fantastic Grandma. In addition, I've been reacquainted with an old love of mine - writing. My love of writing dates back to my elementary school days (anyone read, "The Adventures of Misty the Wondercat"? It was a page turner, let me tell you!) I'm just so excited in anticipation of what 2012 has in store and I intend to savour every moment of it.

Ok, on to some news:
1) I've decided to stop eating shit. Not literally. I mean crappy food with no nutritional value. Like most, I got on a roll and consumed an excessive amount of sugar over the holidays. It happens every year. Last January, I embarked on an experiment. I completely cut out sugar for the month of January. Like NO sugar. That doesn't just mean eliminating the obvious sugars like cookies and cake from my diet, but also included things like ketchup and salad dressing. It was horrible. Like a coke addict suffering from withdrawal, I obsessed about sugar and even "cheated" 3 weeks in, sneakily inhaling a donut in my vehicle in the Safeway parking lot. As I shamelessly licked the honey glaze from my forearm, I realized that I had reached a low point in my life. I vowed that I would never get myself to that point of addiction again. And, like clockwork, here I am January 2, in the same predicament. I don't think that I will completely disallow sugar from my diet this month; however, I will do my best to increase my consumption of "healthy" foods.

2) I have an exciting new goal in the works for the month of January. Once it is confirmed, I will be announcing it on my blog. I can tell you that it's very "Canadian" and will force me to embrace the winter elements. It's a gooder.

3) Randy, my inspiring longboard instructor, has closed the doors of "Ten Foot Touque," the most unique and adventure-filled store that has ever graced the streets of Prince Albert. Anyone who had the opportunity to get to know Randy will miss him immensely; however, he will be reuniting with his wife, Sharon, after years of long distance, and embarking on the next chapter of their adventure together in Edmonton. I really feel like some things happen for a reason. Randy came into my life at a time when I needed help grieving the loss of my friend. I needed some time with another "Ryan" of the world - someone who shared his exhilaration for life to help me understand why. Although Ryan's death is still a mystery to me, my experience with Randy helped me deal with those intense feelings of sadness, anger, and guilt. As my board rolled down the riverbank during those warm September evenings, I really felt like Ryan was there with me, which, looking back, is exactly what I needed to feel. As time passes, the horrible memory of that fateful day on the Torch fade slowly, revealing all the wonderful memories of our spirited friend, Ryan Holowaty. Thank you, Randy, for helping me through such a challenging time. I wish you and Sharon the best of luck - can't wait to get you up wakesurfing this summer at Candle lake!
Happy 2012 everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I just wish we had met you and Evan when we first moved to P.A, instead of the last 6 months i was there. Going to have some rockin times when we come up for a visit this summer.
    Can't wait to find out the Jan. goal =)

    ReplyDelete