Sunday, January 15, 2012

Huskies get cold too

Winter officially hit Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. It was bound to happen sooner or later. With temperatures wavering between -10 and +8 for the past 3 weeks, there was a part of me that was slightly hopeful that this was the new "global warming winter." I even considered switching to aerosol cans, replacing my gas efficient car with a Hummer, and changing out all my our energy efficient lightbulbs with regular ones. Alas, it's much too late. We were scheduled to hit up a trail with the dogs at Christopher Lake today and I took one look out the window this morning, checked out the weather forecast ("Warning: Arctic chill brings coldest temperatures this winter") and was assured with a phonecall from Nancy that the dog sledding was a "no go." Disappointing; however, I do not want to be out there. At all. Brutal. But thank you, Power 99FM, for continuing to report forecast highs of +30 in Jamaica. Again, super helpful when I am NOT in Jamaica.

Check it out. I actually choose to live here. I know. I am confused as well.





I know Nancy worries about her dogs when the temperature dips this low. Although equipped with thick fur coats and bred to withstand arctic temperatures, with a forecast high projected right around the -30 mark all week, the dogs (especially the older dogs) will certainly feel the cold. I helped Nancy fill each dog's house with straw and it was apparent that he dogs loved it! They snuggle into the straw and take shelter from the elements. Nancy also prepares by giving the dogs extra helpings of food - kibble high in fat and protein. As the temperature dives, the dogs will burn more calories to keep themselves warm. A few of Nancy's older dogs also receive capsules of glucosamine in their food to help protect their joints. The frigid temperatures can cause these old guys to become stiff and sore. So not even Huskies are immune to the cold. On the other hand, I doubt they share my desire to escape to a tropical island right about...now.

Since the forecast is not promising over the next 10 days, I'm making plans to spend some time with Nancy and her "Carlton Pet Therapy" group. Nancy, along with students from Carlton High school, regularly take a few dogs to a long term care facility to participate in pet therapy with residents of the home. Nancy also takes her dog to an annual camp to help grieving children. What a fantastic idea! There is no doubt in my mind that animals can improve our social, emotional, and cognitive functioning. Animals don't judge. They don't interrupt. They love unconditionally. They make you feel young (wait a minute, that sounds like a recipe for the perfect husband!) Grandma Ivy (crochet instructor, extraordinaire) has a cat, aptly named, "Miss Kitty." When Grandpa was sick, Miss Kitty patiently laid by his side, purring away. She took her job very seriously. Now that Grandma's on her own, Miss Kitty has become her ever faithful companion and even humors Grandma by rolling from side to side when Grandma sings, "There were 10 in the bed and the little one said...roll over...roll over." (True story).  I'm very interested to see Nancy's dogs in action and the response from the residents.

In the meantime, I'm cranky, stuck indoors, and wondering why the hell I'm living in such an inhumane climate. Time to schedule some therapy sessions with my pets:

1 comment:

  1. Another awesome read Kirstie. I feel like a baby today....I guess Lorne hit the trail with his sled dogs. I guess I am getting soft in my "young age" Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete