Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Saying goodbye to the crutches - Kirstie style

Despite my anger/annoyance/disappointment with the Ortho appointment last week, I eventually sobered up ceased Shark Week celebration and went to work, pushing myself with my physio exercises. 

While most people have one Physio whom they see for therapy, I have several Physios. I have a fricken team, people. Working in the Therapies department certainly has its perks. Our staff consists of motivated, passionate, Type-A personalities - the brightest of the bright - all eager to assist with my rehabilitation. Sue was gentle and encouraging when I was disgruntled by the swelling that erupted after bending my knee for the first time in 8 weeks. Kelly provided me with the latest research on micro fracture surgery (there's hope for me!). Lisa created "Fun Geriatric Aquasize" for me to incorporate my exercises into my vacation and celebration of shark week at the lake (well, she didn't actually condone aquasize and drinking). John set me up on the TRX Suspension training - using bands/rings to improve my squats and lunges (love that thing). Steve provided ultrasound and kick-ass inspirational U-tube vids (check out Darryl Rose return to NBA after his knee injury - any video becomes inspirational with Eminem rapping in the background!) Even our Medical Office Assistants cheer me on a daily basis, "Show us your sexy walk, Kirstie!" (Thanks Deb and Linda!) I am surrounded by supportive, interested co-workers. I'm willing to bet that most work places would care less about an injured co-worker. How lucky am I?!

As I water-walked 1km a day, squatted like it's nobody's business (man I hope my ass makes a comeback), and iced and elevated my knee regularly, all I could picture was Dr. M's face and those dreaded words, "I guess you're not exceptional." Perhaps Dr. M knows exactly what he's doing because it is those words that motivated me to work harder. I'm not there yet. I have a long way to go, but I finally felt strong and confident enough to return to one of my favourite activities this week (after receiving permission from the Dr and Physio, of course).  I decided to pair my favourite activity with a sayonara ceremony for the asshole crutches. It felt good. Man, it felt sooooo good (and just before the lake freezes over!) I'm on my way.


Assholes! (that's my badass angry face)


uh oh. The crutch is gonna get it. 

i own you.
Take that you stupid crutch. 



1 comment:

  1. Yea! Though I have to say, I'm a tad frightened of you now due to the bad-ass face.

    ReplyDelete