Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chicks That Longboard

So I met with Randy Thursday night for my 3rd offical longboarding lesson. As usual, it was so much fun, and I have to admit that I'm becoming addicted to this unique sport. And it truly is a sport - not just an interesting mode of transportation. I'm getting that now. I'm certain that my brain is creating new highways, and even intersecting these new highways with pre-existing ones! We went out last week for what was likely our last wakesurf of the season (boo winter!) and I have never felt better behind the boat. For one, after rolling down a concrete hill on my ass, hitting the water at 10k is really not THAT big of deal. Really. I was fearless. It's amazing what you can do when you're not afraid. It's that whole commitment thing that Randy alluded to in our first lesson. Second, I'm sure my technique improved as well - that carving action on the longboard actually translates on the wave! I'm so happy! I mean, I'm stoked :) Randy was stoked as well and gave me "The official pocketbook of Longboarding." I thought it was really cool (because Randy gave it me to) until my friend, Heidi, pointed out that "real" longboarders probably don't carry the official pocketbook to longboarding around. Hmmm...good point. I will ask Randy if he has one in his wallet.

The "Tiger Claw" is coming along...step-by-step. We soon realized that the trick will need to be modified (slightly), given that I ride "goofy" (right foot forward). Mild panic set in until Randy reassured me that this 'mod' would be gnarly. So, it was determined that I will be attempting a gnarlier version of the Tiger Claw - the "Thirsty Kirstie." Wow. A trick named after me? Only Child Syndrome kickin' into high gear folks. haha. The issue is that my board needs to be facing forward when I've completed the trick, so that I can keep it steazy. The solution is some sort of baton twirling move - I flip the board around from hand to hand in the air (try NOT to smack my face in the process) and then just land on it. No big deal. Just land on it: AKA "drop'n acid". Randy corrected me,"Not dropping THE acid." ) Hmmm... not quite there yet. Randy, who is one fantastic coach, pumped my tires, telling me that this new version of the Tiger Claw would be unreal. Basically, I'm paving the way for female longboarders everywhere! (Well, that's how I heard it :) haha. That got me thinking... where are all these female longboarders? I've chatted up a few longboarding males (unfortunately, they all tend to be under 14 years of age - my lawyer advises me against engaging in conversation with these young males for more than 10 minutes :) It usually goes something like this:

"Hey Zac," (Zac is 14) "can you do any tricks on your longboard?"
"Well, when my brother lets me borrow it and I'm done my homework. Sorta. I dunno. Whatever."
(Right. Homework. This is going well)
"What can you do?"
 "Um...well I can slide."
(I nod head and smile)
"Cool."
(What the h is sliding? Must ask coach.)
"I'm working on the Tiger Claw. After work...you know, when my husband's not stealing my board."
 (uncomfortable polite head nod from Zac).
"Ok. Gotta go, my mom's here!"

I mean, it's great to discuss longboarding with anyone who's into the sport; however, I'm frightening these poor young boys and I need a more mature point of view. A mature female point of view.

Case in point: Drew Danielo, 5 time world wakesurfing champion. Evan became obsessed with wakesurfing this summer. He and my lawyer's husband, Darren, became so focused on "progressing the sport," that pre and post video analysis was not an uncommon practice on our boat this summer. My lawyer and I laughed it off, mixed a cocktail (I mean, not ON the boat, that would be illegal), and surfed for fun while Ev and Darren analyzed their speed, angles, and the state of our wave. Then Ev found Drew. Drew is an unreal wakesurfer (You have to be pretty decent to win 5 world championships!) He lives in Florida. He and Ev soon became friends. Let me clarify. Ev stalked him on facebook and became a "fan" of his page. They are now "friends." haha. Ev sends Drew little messages on fb and Drew responds with inspirational words of wisdom, "God Bless and Shred Man!" (Drew's quite religious). Ev channels Drew when he wakesurfs, inquiring, "What would Drew do?" when a trick isn't working and occasionally crosses himself  prior to a trick (Ev is not catholic). Drew sent Ev a fb message, "Come down to FLA and we'll go for a ride." Ev giggled like a schoolgirl  for days! I love it. I need a female "Drew." I explained my predicament to Randy. He's going to introduce me to Team 10 foot Touque (these guys are amazing longboarders - I saw the video and can't wait to see these guys ride) and he gave me the name of my new "Drew." Enter Amanda Powell, longboarding chick extraordinaire! I googled her and initially was confused to find a middle-aged conservative looking woman who teaches Spanish. Oops...apparently, there is more than 1 Amanda Powell?! Will the 'real' Amanda Powell please stand up?
Me thinks it's her
mature longboarding chick?

I also spent some time googling "longboarding chicks" and found some interesting sites :0 (warning: do not google 'longboarding chicks' at work!) One legit site about girls that longboard reads: Hey dudes!!! Chicks that board! Purrrrttty ladies who aren't scared to jump on the board! So if you're a down ass chick who knows your way around a board, submit your pics and follow." It's actually an interesting site with tons of pictures of female athletes on their boards. Not posers. Fantastic for young girls looking for inspiration! I'm trying to determine if I'm a "down ass chick." I went down hard on my ass. Does that count? (corny, corny joke. Sorry). Perhaps there's a special site for the mature 'thirtysomething' longboarding lady. Nope. That doesn't exist. Perhaps whilst (there it is! there it is!) learning how to longboard, I will start my own Mature Luscious Ladies of Longboarding Club (kinda like a book club, you know...but better) Any takers?
God Bless and Shred!
Kirst

3 comments:

  1. Holy frick are you funny!!!!!!! Funniest person i know!
    Liza and Lori Gray you are now second and third place in my world:)
    How did we not do headstands today? I FRIGGING LOVE HEADSTANDS! And its funny cuz Lori told me a long time ago that you liked to do headstands and I forgot. I like to do headstands too at random times thinking I am impressing people but usually they don't look it. I think deep down they are jealous they can't stand on THEIR heads:)
    Can't wait to shred with you again dude!!!
    Gotta learn to acid drop!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great what you're doing. In approximately 1922, I was the East Coast Editor of SURFER Magazine, and in that capacity, got to play poker once with big wave surfer Brock Little. Brock rodes GINORMOUS waves. His brother, as I remember it, was a rock climber. Brock was scared of heights and rock climbing made him sweat. He told me that in confidence probably, but it was 20 years ago, and I think he'll let me slide. Point is - everyone is scared of something - it's awesome that you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fit Chick, I think you may be my first official groupie! Which is so awesome, because I've always wanted a groupie. Let's Acid drop! :)
    Kidfreeliving: ok, you "were" the East Coast Editor of Surfer mag? does that mean that position is currently open? sign me up!

    ReplyDelete