Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Is it possible to break your bum?



pretty sure I broke the right sit bone
It's official. I experienced my first longboarding wipeout today. It was legit. I'm not gonna lie to you, I had a crap day at work and decided to purge myself of that frustration whilst longboarding (I love that word...whilst). So in hindsight, I wasn't chill. I broke the cardinal rule of longboarding, "just be chill." Frustrated with my lack of speed (I ride "goofy" - right food forward, which makes it difficult to pump enough speed with my non-dominant left foot), I found a nice little hill behind our gym. Just a nice little hill. Or so I thought. I "dropped some acid" (well, maybe "set down" some acid better describes my timid entry on the board), and started carving down the hill. Wind in my hair, sun on my face, things were lookin' up. This is awesome. I love working at the hospital when it's 30 above, I love making all the decisions with our house build, I can't wait for our dark, cold winter. Things are super! Gaining speed, I wanted to holler, "Look at me! Watch this!" Suddenly, I was no longer carving. I was heading down this flippin' hill full tilt. Panic set in. Abort! Abort! Why didn't I get one of those big sticks (by the way, it's really called "a big stick." For real). Trees. Houses. Bushes. Dogs. Flying past me at the speed of light (well, maybe the speed of sound). I bailed. Throwing myself off my board, I rolled. And rolled. There were forward rolls, backward rolls, shoulder rolls, egg rolls. You name it, I rolled it. Finally coming to a stop, I surveyed the situation. My board was sitting 8 feet in front of me in a perfectly upright position. It stared at me accusingly, "What the h were you trying to pull out there?" Ok, what hurts? I surveyed my pain. Ankle. Is it broken? No. Wrist. Is it broken? No. Ow...my bum!!! Can you break your bum? Fighting through my pain, I mentally referenced my 4th year anatomy textbook. I'm sure there's a bone back there. could it be my coccyx? No, it's the right cheek. The sit bone. Shit. I broke my sit bone. Fractured bum and bruised ego, I propped myself up on all fours and looked around. A teenage boy was slowly sauntering over to me. His ipod was blasting. He was giggling to himself, obviously amused with my display. "That was awesome. You were flying down that hill! I wish I would have got that on video. I'd put it on youtube for sure!" Well, that would have been handy. Oh well...at least somebody saw.


The following video depicts the events described above. This is not an actor. It's not me either. I was wearing a helmet.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Please tell me you didn't hit the pavement as hard as that guy on the youtube video. If it makes you feel any better,I went through a similar learning experience. It ended in a high speed tumble with the last thing hitting the pavement being the back of my head. That and the nose of my friend's sweet longboard all smashed up from flying into the curb. On a bridge going over the Saskatchewan River in Saskatoon at 3am or so actually. There may have been drinking involved, I can't remember. (the head hit). I hope you heal fast and are feeling steezy again soon. Awesome blog Kirstie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily Boost Your ClickBank Commissions And Traffic

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your favorite ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete