Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Riding with Team Touque

What an awesome surprise! When I arrived for my second last (boo) longboarding lesson on Thursday, I was greeted by Randy and some members of the 10 foot touque longboarding team - Josh 2.0 (not sure where the 2.0 came from, but I like it. Impulsive name change...wait for it...Kirstie 5.7 - my height. Steazy and practical.), Scott (Scott, do you have a nickname?), Jake (self-proclaimed, "prodigal Child of My Era" - Prodigy???), and J-Turn, along with his lil buddy, Zac. The kids ranged in age from 14 to 21. Bass couldn't make it. He, apparently, was sick in bed. Remember Bass from my first lesson? If that kid had a soundtrack, it would be Bob Marley's Greatest Hits - smooth and chill. They called poor Bass multiple times, claiming there was "a chick who thinks you're hot" waiting for him at the Touque.  I looked around. I was the only "chick." Oh dear. Lawyer!!!

We stood at the intersection, ready to hit up the trail. Apparently if you press the walk light 45 times (as fast and as hard as you can), the light will change. Eventually. It's full-proof. Good tip, boys. Randy could sense my trepidation, "Don't let them intimidate you. Just do your thing. Don't feel like you have to keep up." No shit. But you know what? within minutes these kids put me at ease. J-Turn, the oldest team member there (other than Randy :), immediately chatted me up, expressing how stoked he was that I was attempting this. The guys never once made me feel like an inconvenience, an old lady or a super nerdy newb. Or worse...a NOOB. They were hilarious, helpful, entertaining, and extremely talented.

It quickly became apparent that the self proclaimed "prodigal child of his era", Jake, was the mouthpiece  verbally advanced member of the group. To be honest, he kinda reminded me of myself. "Hey guys watch this!" "I can do that." "No, I'll do it better." This kid cracked me up!
"Watch this - I call it Captain and cola." He stood on this board stoically with one foot lifted in the air.
"Jake, where did ya get that name?" inquired Josh 2.0.
"It's written on a glass that my dad has."
I quickly offered Jake a tip of my own, "Jake, if someone asks you to sail the high seas with the Captain, proceed with caution."
Jake has many looks. this one's "pensive"
He stared at me blankly. Some night (when he's 19, of course), he will be out drinking with the boys and will recall my words of wisdom. It could save him from a wicked hangover. My lawyer has an interesting story about a night with the Captain; however, I took an oath (zipping gesture on lips).
"Jake, are you, by any chance, an only child?"
 "Nope. Got a sister. She's old. (Note: she's 20. Old? He must think I'm a flippin' grandma). She's kinda weird. She moved in with her boyfriend. She comes home and takes our ketchup and peanut butter and stuff." Right.      

The boys watched me butcher  enthusiastically attempt my trick , providing tips and positive feedback along the way. Scott recommended that I turn my back foot slight to gain more control over my board when I pop it up. It helped. In awe, I watched these kids land (and occasionally not land) shove-its, back mannies, front mannies, 360's, Captain & Cola's, etc, etc, etc. Not only are these kids phenomenal athletes, but they also have wicked personalities. I haven't snorted like that in months! (I snort when something is legitimately funny. Sometimes Ev tries to elicit the snort with tickling. No go. I don't fake snorts). Anyways, I was so impressed. I asked Randy if they were preparing for a competition. Apparently, the sport is so new, that longboarding skill competitions don't yet exist - only downhill (speed) racing (Can you say, ass-breaker??). So, the goal is to send in video footage of the guys riding, with the hopes of gaining sponsorship by a longboarding brand like "Loaded" or my trusty board, "Bucsu." Randy is currently in the process of putting those vids together.

I had a little chat with Josh 2.0, the quiet, introspective member of the team.
"What school do you go to, Josh?"
"Carlton"
"Hey, I went there too" (I'm sure he thought, 'Ya sure - with Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops') "Are there different areas in the school where certain groups hang out? Like, when I went to school, the skaters hung out in the 'Gardens.' Is it still like that?"
"Um. No. Not really. I think the kids that play with Pokemon Cards (HUH?) hang in the Gardens. But other than that, everyone just kinda hangs out wherever."
"Wow - that's great!"

Evan! STOP THE PUCK!
Now that would have prevented a lot of unnecessary teenage angst. God, thinking back to my high school experience, my tiny self-absorbed world was consumed by "fitting in." Somewhere. Anywhere. Where should my locker be located? Who should I eat lunch with? It frickin stressed me out! I need a label! Skater? Goth? Jock? No, Lucky me, I was a "puck." Definition: one who gets passed from hockey player to hockey player (whoa whoa whoa! Let's not get out of hand, people. I hung out with the PA Raiders, OK? They had matching green and gold tracksuits - who can resist that?) In an unexpected twist of fate, I actually ended up marrying the Raiders' Goalie - ironically, the player whose job it is to STOP the puck. Things that make you go...hmmmm...

You know what? These kids have it all figured out. Team touque is the epitome of steeze. I had the BEST longboarding session of my short (yet uber fulfilling) career. Randy has done a fantastic job of finding and bringing this group of guys together. I can't wait to see them rock the longboarding world!
Thanks, guys!
PS: Only 2 more sleeps to land my trick whilst  :) exuding steaze - EEEEEEKKKKKSSSSSS

1 comment: