Monday, February 20, 2012

I have a feeling that this is a really bad idea

It's confirmed. Tomorrow evening, I will face my fear of the puck. I will be in net for the Shellbrook Elks' hockey practice. The Shellbrook Elks are a Senior mens hockey team that consist of large men who may have at one time in their career played pro or university hockey. I was super excited about the prospect of stacking the pads, "doin' the crease," and tipping back my mask to guzzle from my water bottle (always thought that looked cool). Today reality is setting in and I'm thinking that this is actually a really bad idea. At least I have a goalie coach. He's super helpful. Today I prepared by familiarizing myself with the gear (true love is wearing your hubby's can) and "stopping" rubber balls in our basement. My goalie coach also provided super helpful tips like, "just pokecheck 'em." Right. It was fricken hard. And scary. After 5 minutes, I was struggling just to move and breathe simultaneously. The addition of skates, ice, and flying pucks can only make this worse. Wow. What the hell did I agree to do?
Dundee is super helpful as I get my gear on

Butterfly!

Stackin' the pads - good luck getting up. Ever. 

The following video makes me laugh. And cry. I've never seen Ev so entertained. I'm afraid.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my god, that video just made my day! HILARIOUS! Can I please share this with my readers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! just wait until you see the next vid...on the ice...:0

      Delete
  2. The video is so funny! Wow! I honestly can see that you were serious about learning on how to be a goalie. With consistent training, I'm sure you'll get better and better. Good thing you have a very supportive and hyper active goalie coach there. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete