Saturday, February 25, 2012

My fear of....large groups of small children


Yes, you read that correctly. First, some clarification:
Large group= more than 1
small children = anyone under the age of 18

I want to stress that I am NOT afraid of children - one-on-one, that is. In fact, I quite enjoy spending time with 1 child....or even 2 children with the presence of another responsible adult. I worked as a Speech-Language Pathologist in the schools for over 2 years and it was fun. I got on great with the kids. When I entered the classroom to pull the child who required speech therapy, the class would light up, "Pick me! Pick me!" The "chosen one" would proudly stand, take my hand, and happily follow me to the treatment room. Generally, I was in control of the treatment session (if not, "chosen one" was promptly sent back to class), we had tons of laughs, and when it was over, I would present "chosen one" with a kickass sticker and send him back to class. It was great! Child is fun. Children; however, can be quite terrifying.

While I was working in the school division, I often awoke in a cold sweat from this recurring nightmare: In my dream, I entered the kindergarten classroom to find that I would be subbing for the sick kindergarten teacher. I would be personally responsible for a classroom full of five year olds. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGGG! Horrible. I truly believe that kindergarten teachers have the most difficult job on the planet. Not only are they tying shoes, dealing with potty "accidents" and keeping these children alive on a daily basis, but they are also responsible for teaching these children how to read and write. Are you kidding me? Impossible.

There is a strong possibility that my fear of large groups of small children dates back to my early "only child" days. As you may remember from my very first ever post, I was raised as an only child until I was 15 years old. I always had a captive audience. No competition in my house. "Watch me! Watch this!" Other children just interfered with my show. I blame my parents (just jokes mom and dad - again, sorry for stealing your vodka in grade 12. Tip to parents: freeze your vodka. You will then know if your kids are refilling the bottle with water! You're welcome).
Hey! Watch this!

Look at me!

Is anyone even watching???

So to face my fear of large groups of small children, I will be performing the impossible. I will be running a CrossFit kids class at Ev's gym. Not only will I be responsible for entertaining a bunch of riled up kids (aged 4-11!!) pumped up on adrenalin, but I will also be responsible for turning them into well-tuned athletes. Good luck. I intend to go in there with strength and courage....never let them smell your fear. Once they smell fear, they attack. I'm ready...sorta...frick, who am I kidding? I can't wait for "face my fears" month to be over...
PS: there's a reason I'm posting this 10 minutes before my class begins - do NOT want unexpected rush of children attending my class!

No comments:

Post a Comment