Sunday, February 12, 2012

Big news!

I've been a little grouchy since our return from vacation. I know. I know. "Poor Kirstie is grouchy after her wonderful vacation. aw." I'm not looking for sympathy. But here's how it is. The first couple days back at work after vacation are a little miserable - Friday I found myself gazing and clock thinking, "A week ago at this very moment I was three sheets to the wind on margartas and now I'm discussing a patient's bowel movements. And speaking of bowel movements, there's also that added complication of post-vacay bad guts. My stomach isn't a superstar to begin with....but add exotic foods, syrupy cheap alcohol-infused drinks, a terrifying shark dive, and possibly a parasite, and the stomach is in complete chaos. And you know what? I mistreated it. I probably earned these horrific cold sweats followed by desperate sprints to the bano. But to add insult to injury, the city of Prince Albert, SK, Population 40,000 is under a "Boil Water Order." Yep. We should have remained in the 3rd world country. Couldn't drink the water there, but at least there was a beach.

I had big plans for the month of February. Really cool plans. But given my mood, and the fact that February is almost half over, I've made an executive decision to move this super cool goal to the end of my year-long experiment. I think it's just a fantastic and fun way to end, what I hope, will continue to be a life-changing year.

So that leaves me with half a month. Since I began the month with a bang (diving with sharks, holy shit!), I've decided to declare February my "FACE MY FEARS Cara a Cara (face to face)" month. I've got a few ideas, but I'm looking for some feedback. My first plan was to face my fear of heights. The fear is more about looking down from over an edge. What better way to face my fear of heights than on the high diving board at Frank Dunn swimming pool? Alas, this damn boil water order has ruined any opportunity of accomplishing that goal. The pool is currently closed. Boo. City of Prince Albert: you are ruining my life.

I'm presently working on a hockey-related fear and one involving large groups of small children (Yes, it's a legitimate fear - stay tuned). Any other ideas?

Now that's a sexy airplane.
Ok, on to much more important things. The big announcement.. Janna had her baby!!!! As I was boarding our plane to Honduras (check out our sexy airplane), I was desperately texting Janna and Preston, as she was in the early stages of labor. Although I'm quite certain that the experience was much more excruciating for Janna, it was so painful to arrive in Honduras, not knowing whether or not my best friend was okay, and whether or not the baby had arrived.

Sutter Elliot arrived into the world on the night of January 30. Obviously, given that his parents are Janna and Preston, he's unbelievably good looking and cool. No doubt about that. You all remember their  dirty dancing wedding dance? I met Sutter for the first time yesterday and presented him with his lovingly created (um...with the occasional profanity) crocheted blanket. He was super impressed.

"Wow, the awesomeness radiating from this blanket makes me so tired."

While Janna was busy in another room, (I can't believe my best friend is a mom??!!) I had a private little chat with Sutter. He was sleeping, but I'm pretty sure he processed everything I said. He's super smart and much more advanced than most babies. The chat went something like this:

"So I'm your super cool Aunty Kirstie. I'm cool because I dive with sharks and stuff like that, but it's no big deal." (Sutter totally furrowed his brow in disbelief)

"You scored some big-time awesome parents, but they're still your parents and sometimes you might think they're lame. If that ever happens, you give your Aunty Kirstie call. I can teach you how to longboard, wakesurf, speak spanish, dogsled, talk to girls, you know...whatever you're in to. The possibilities are endless, really." (although sound asleep, I swear Sutter smiled with delight - or gas. Whatever). We had an understanding.

Sutter is very awesome and I can't wait to see his personality shine through as he grows. I'm also looking forward to watching my best buddy as she navigates through her new role. Janna's always done things her own unique, individual way and I just know that she will excel and shine as Sutter's mom. Congratulations Janna and Preston!
J & P: 2 cool cats!

2 comments:

  1. Bungee Jump - West Edmonton Mall - Do it!
    http://www.centerofgravitywem.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, but no time to zip out to Edmonton. I would totally bungee off Diefenbaker bridge but there's that damn weight restriction. shoot.

    ReplyDelete