Thursday, February 23, 2012

I owe some peops an apology...

absolutely terrified
Wow. I did it! I spent 45 minutes in net for the Shellbrook Elks' hockey practice. And you know what? Although I'm presently suffering from a hideous head cold - a very bossy head cold in which the elevation of my head must remain higher than 52 degrees or it will explode (just like that bus from the movie "Speed"), which is totally fine if you own a hospital bed or don't actually require sleep, my spirits are high. I'm actually really proud of myself.

My biggest fear was resembling a whiny participant in one of those weightloss shows on TV - you know, like 'The Biggest Loser.' I pictured humiliating myself, laying helpless on the ice, sobbing, and begging someone - anyone, to make it stop.

Don't even bother getting up
It wasn't like that. I tried hard. Like REALLY hard to actually do a decent job, keep my composure, and perhaps stop a few pucks along the way. The Elks were very accommodating, took it easy on me, and never made me feel like a reject. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're interested in signing me :) Thanks to my buddy, Lisa W and her "practice Captain" hubby, Mason, for setting that up! It was extremely challenging, and although those 45 minutes provided an adrenalin rush like no other, I will NOT be playing net again. In fact, during those 45 minutes, I began to mentally compose some letters of apology. They are long overdue.

1. To all opposing goaltenders during Ev's hockey career: I had an irrational hatred of you. In my mind, you were all puppy-kicking, child-slapping, evil men who were out to ruin Ev's career. Specifically, I would like to apologize to Jason Cugnet. Remember that game in London where someone was trash-talking you, "You motherf&^%$#% sieve - slip in a mother^%$#$#@ save you loser!" um...Hi! That was me. I'm sorry. That was Ev's most challenging hockey season ever (3 wins??!!) I blamed you. You were having a super season in Cardiff and it made me angry. And I wanted to live in Cardiff. Um...sorry about that. You did a fine job.
2. To the Zamboni driver in Tallahassee, Florida: The other goalie got called up. They had 2 hours to find a back-up. You had goalie gear. You became the back-up. You could barely stand in the net and as each shot hit you, you teetered like a weeble wobble in the net. I laughed. I pointed. I mocked you. Um...sorry about that. You did a fine job.
3. Finally, to my best bud and hubby, Ev: I was always your biggest fan but I often struggled to communicate that effectively (and appropriately). After stepping into your skates (literally) for 45 minutes, I'd like to apologize for all those times I hollered from the stands: "Get back in your net!" (That's not easy, is it? - frick, I don't know how you even found it half the time), "Stop the Puck!" (um, duh. Why did I feel the need to explain this to you?) and "Evan Lindsay, don't you dare!" (That equipment made me angry enough to want to fight too!) I don't know how you did it, buddy. I always have and always will admire your quiet confidence and even temperament that helped you succeed during extremely trying times. I know your hockey career fell short of your expectations, but I will always be immensely proud of you and the life that you created for us. You did a fine job.

here it is! Proof that I am fearless (or maybe an idiot?)
me and my boyzzzz



No comments:

Post a Comment